FULL NAME: Anthony Joseph Perry|
Joe Fuckin' Perry|
Joe Freakin' Perry
the King of Cool
BIRTHDAY: September 10, 1950|
PLACE OF BIRTH: Lawrence, Mass.|
INSTRUMENTS: Guitars, Backup vocals|
My Hopedale Band
Pipe Dreams / Jam Band (with Tom Hamilton)
Joe Perry Project
FAMILY: Click for Joe Perry's Family Tree|
HAIR COLOR: Black|
EYE COLOR: Brown|
|JOE PERRY ON MUSIC|
Second best album of 1993: Tom Waits "Bone Machine"
Favorite albums of 1994:|
"Voodoo Lounge" by the Rolling Stones
"Dirt" by Alice in Chains
Joe's top albums of 1997:|
Oasis - Be Here Now
Aerosmith - Nine Lives
Bob Dylan - Time Out of Mind
Loreena McKennitt - Book of Secrets
In 1994, Joe Perry stated that this would be his "dream" festival|
and of course Aerosmith! He said Aerosmith would headline
Most awesome concert he's ever missed: |
Stevie Ray Vaughn and Jeff Beck
Likes (and has performed onstage with)|
Melissa Etheridge and Carly Simon (not at the same time!)
"What bands do you like today (1997)?"|
I like Alice in Chains and Stone Temple Pilots, Rage Against the Machine, and Pearl Jam. But sometimes they're so self-absorbed, I don't understand that. There's a band Rasputina, girls who play cellos, it's arty and weird. Pretty interesting. I like DGeneration. They have a New York street kind of thing, and this band KISS that's on the road.
Favorite song to play during the Get a Grip tour: "Livin' On The Edge"
Some bands he likes: Jimi Hendrix, The Yardbirds, Chuck Berry, Robert Johnson, Deep Purple, Beatles and Led Zeppelin
Various Joe Perry Facts
- Joe has Pet Tarantulas!
- Has three solo albums (Let the Music Do the Talking, I've got the Rock'n'Rolls Again, Once a Rocker, Always a Rocker) with the Joe Perry Project
- The album "Rocks" is dedicated to his father
- His father is Portuguese and his mother is Italian
- His father was an accountant and his mother was a P.E. teacher in school and then an aerobics instructor!
- Used to work at and ice cream parlor called The Anchorage where Steven used to come in
- He started playing guitar at age 6 and never had guitar lessons.
- He wrote and performed the theme music for the TV cartoon "Spider-Man"
- Worst airplane experience: "A 25 hour flight from Sydney to L.A. with no Grey Poupon
- What's always in his refrigerator: "Hot sauce"
- Favorite item of clothing: "Pants. Don't leave home without them."
- His speciality in the kitchen: "Indian curry"
- His first guitar was a ukelele that his uncle made.
- Also worked as a janitor in a Boston synagogue.
- Is an amateur pilot. (and likes to hang out in the cockpit on his flights)
- Joe Perry was in the band the least amount of time. Although Brad Whitford joined the group later than Perry, Perry was away longer with his solo project.
- If he couldn't live in Mass., he'd would live in Maui
- Stupidest thing he's ever done on stage is strip naked (I've been told it was a g string and he only changed clothes on stage - not that I personally care..)
- Weirdest place he's ever been naked is on stage in Lubbock, Texas
- Favorite venue to play: Orpheum Theater-Boston, MA
- Favorite Simpsons character: Homer
- Best sight in Boston: Logan Airport
- Last thing he does before he goes on stage? "Pee"
- When the Joe Perry project was over, he considered taking a sideman position with Alice Cooper
- In 1984, he sued Leber-Krebs and won
- Has a pool shaped like the body of a guitar, it doesn't have the neck however.
- Sings Walk On Down (off of Get a Grip), Bright Light Fright (off of Draw
the Line), and South Station Blues (off of Pandora's Box - from the Joe Perry
Project) and "Falling off" from "Nine Lives"
- Was so out of it that he had no idea that Columbia Records had released
Greatest Hits until a fan approached him in a supermarket and asked him
to autograph a copy.
- Does he like reading Aerosmith reviews after a show? "Yes, particularly when
they talk about the music."
- The "last book he read" was Timemaster by Robert Forward
- Favorite resaurant in the world: Redbones in Somerville, MA (and the pizza in
Mama Kin's Bitchin' Kitchen).
- What would he have done if he hadn't been in Aerosmith: Be in the Joe Perry
- Favorite designer: "I'm not really attached to any one particular designer.
I'm more into t-shirts and jeans."
- Adrian Perry (Joe's oldest son, born on January 25th 1981, from his first marriage, with Elyssa Jerret) is also a musician. He is currently singer/guitarist/songwriter in the band 60/40 breakdown. You can find more info on them at http://www.6040breakdown.com. He has previously played in such bands as Dexter and The Feds.
For more info on Adrian Perry use the following links:
- Article about Adrian (from 1997, or so)
- Bio of Adrian from 6040breakdown.com (2001)